Stupid gaming rumors you heard when you were a kid

Gaming Discussion goes here, regardless of console or era...since there aren't enough posts to warrant separate categories yet.
Forum rules
Just don't post anything illegal
Zemekis

Stupid gaming rumors you heard when you were a kid

Post by Zemekis » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:02 pm

Did any of you hear outlandish rumors about games as a kid? Even ones that wound up being true but you thought were total bullshit when you heard them. I'm gonna list off the most egregious ones I can remember at the moment:

- In Mario 64, run around the fountain in the courtyard 'x' times to unlock Luigi.
- Also in Mario 64, after you get all the stars you will play as Luigi and Birdo will be on the roof of the castle instead of Yoshi.
- The Sega Dreamcast has "a mind of its own" and can play any game it wants to.
- In Mario Tennis on the N64, if Mario is on both teams there will be a Mario with a blue hat as the referee. My buddy across the street used to tell me he was a separate character called "Bluebird Mario". Ironically, there is a small fanbase for this character and theories as to him being a separate guy, rather than just a recolored Mario model: http://fantendo.wikia.com/wiki/Blue_Mario
- When I was 4, my cousin told me that Raiden in the original Mortal Kombat was a normal man who stood outside and sucked lightning into his hands to get his powers. (I still want this to be true. The idea of a dude in a rice farming hat sucking up lightning still cracks me up)
- MissingNo. is a real Pokemon
- A Kamehameha attack can destroy half a planet, while a Spirit Bomb can destroy exactly 1 and a half. Sure, it's anime but there were DBZ games at the time.
- The characters in Final Fantasy X actually talk. I called this kid out SO HARD when he told me his older brother watched the trailer for it at Walmart, but little did I know this was 100% true.

Last but not least for now, one of my own. I swear this is real, if you Google for a half hour or so you can find a Yahoo Answers/GameFAQs question about this. In the original Paper Mario, at some point in the story (i dunno the trigger for this cutscene) in Toad Town near the entrance to Mario/Luigi's house there is a quick scene with a Pink Toad character that appears in the middle of the plaza and walks off with the screen going black. I have NO IDEA where to find her after that or who/what the deal is with this scene...I've only got it once out of 4 full playthroughs. It may have something to do with this not activating properly: https://www.mariowiki.com/Trading_Event_Toad
"Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"